Development of new technologies and new products aimed at increasing productivity, reducing waste and emissions of pollutants, thereby enabling sustainable development.
Established in December 5, 2005, the Atlantis Institute was initially conceived as an organization that is dedicated to raise funds to support scientific projects of oceanography and related sciences.
The idea was born within the LENOC group (Numerical Experimentation Laboratory of Oceanography) of the Federal University of Rio Grande. A professor and four students working with numerical models for simulation of ocean dynamics had difficulty in approving projects in the public funding system and decided to create a private institute.
Promote scientific and technological knowledge that enables the progress of human society while maintaining lower levels of carbon emissions and other pollutants.
Pursue the minimization of the effects of human activities on the planet, its climate and its ecosystems.
• Environmental impact of deep water constructions
• Environmental impact of harbour constructions and navigation channels
• Local Emergency Plans and Area Emergency Plans (deep water and coastal)
• Simulation of location alternatives and morphological alternatives for coastal works (jetties, embankments, dredging, piers and port terminals, shipping channels)
• Mitigation/compensation plans for coastal constructions
• Analysis of data sampled in the ocean or atmosphere: quality control/quality assurance
• Re-analyses of sampled data and model data
• Assimilation of re-analysis data into ocean circulation models
• Modelos de Ondas e Marés
• Ocean circulation
• Sediments and Turbidity currents
• Water quality/sewage plumes
• Assessment of physical aspects of environment (meteorology, climatology, oceanography) to compose Environmental Assessment
• Operational models for simulation and forecast of ocean circulation
• Experiments with chemical dispersants
• Experiments with Biodegrading bacteria
• Simulation of oil dispersion in the ocean
• Oil Weathering
• Chemical characterization of oil
• Simulation of oild spill contingency
• Resiliency of mangrove and coral reefs to oil spills